Sunday, May 23, 2010

Happy

Good morning.

You'll see I've attached a Nelson Mandela quote as the header of this blog.

I feel there can be no shame in living with schizophrenia. No hesitancy to trumpet our lives. That's where the PR starts. Our stories are worth telling because we lived them.

I'm reminded of men in business who think the world revolves around them and who think they're supremely important people. Why can't people diagnosed with schizophrenia and other mental illnesses feel good about themselves too?

It's hard when the stigma is alive and kicking. To that I say the best defense is to "be brave and live your life."

Elanor Roosevelt is quoted: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

So I would tell you not to give stigma any weight. It will only serve to limit your perception of what you can do if you carry the stigma with you wherever you go.

I'm not saying it's easy to give stigma the boot. I found out the hard way when I discontinued the Stelazine and had to be hospitalized again.

The true cost of stigma can't be measured however it indirectly influences so much: whether a person seeks help and whether she feels she's capable of striving for something better.

______________________________


The cost of success is that sometimes living with schizophrenia can be painful. When you have the insight that you are different it can be painful to realize. I'm aware that the price of beauty can be pain.

I dedicate this blog entry to everyone who has fought so valiantly to achieve their goals.

Right now I'm not sure what the answer is only I remember the expression: "when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping." I have been engaging in retail therapy like there's no end in sight.

I doubt I will ever not care how I look because the truth is I want to be taken seriously. So you will find me planning my outfits and coordinating jewelry to match my outfits.

I can't say this doesn't matter to me because it does.

Also: I treated a friend to dinner for his birthday. We ate in the Spanish restaurant.

That is the answer: to do the things that give you joy.

To understand that sometimes what goes on is all in your head. When the reality of what's really going on contradicts the scenario you envisioned that is when life is painful. It is when you realize that you have schizophrenia and this will always be true.

So you walk in the neighborhood where you pop into the Tibetan store and you buy a ring that is a round clear green stone encircled by silver.

You realize that soon your money will run out.

Until then you can hope that someday it will be better.

You are not alone. Surely you are not alone.

Another day dawns.

A day to rejoice and be glad that God has given you this day.

So you live your life you love your life.

Happy.

No comments: